sábado, 17 de agosto de 2013

Finding John Huston



Culture Desk - Notes on arts and entertainment from the staff of The New Yorker.

FROM “THE NEW YORKER”


John-Huston.jpg

Finding John Huston



“What’s this?” I asked Joanie, who had picked me up at the Puerto Vallarta airport less than an hour earlier. It was my understanding that she would deposit me at the home of her employer, John Huston. Instead, I was standing on a solitary dock surrounded by dense jungle.

Through his agent, Huston had agreed to meet and consider my fantasized proposition that, for a crewman’s wages, he would immediately devote a month of his time to star in a small, independent film that I had been hired to direct. Doing so would require him to travel to the Gaslamp Quarter of San Diego. This was in 1982, a decade before urban renewal revitalized that area.

It had been less than a year since I’d moved to Hollywood from Washington, D.C., lacking a relevant résumé but filled with youthful energy, tenacity, and the rigid intent to direct feature films. In my limited experience, I had learned quickly the power that determination and the conviction of one’s ideas carries. My first lesson was that confidence matters, with or without basis; he who wavers is soon forgotten.

Convincing producers I knew far more than I did, my Hollywood career began with the offer of a job in the editing room, and within a year I had developed into a contract to write and direct a feature film. I had picked up a lot in my short time in L.A., and when casting discussions began I understood the value of placing a known commodity into an unknown venture. I suggested hiring an iconic Hollywood director to play the mentor in a family film about pride and consequence, and a quick turn of events placed me on a small wooden dock in rural Mexico, hoping to convince John Huston that he should travel to San Diego to star in a micro-budget production for a first-time director for less compensation than an electrician would earn on a film set today.

Joanie explained that Huston lived on a Huichol Indian reservation located on a remote peninsula south of Yalapa. There were no paved roads leading to his compound, which had no electricity, no gas, and no running water. He made due with the use of a generator, propane, and rain tanks. The only access was via the Pacific Ocean. Huston had requested over short-wave radio—the only communication available, when it was working—that Joanie drop me at the dock, where a local fisherman would collect me and bring me to the compound in his twenty-foot outboard, or panga.
 
I had stepped off the plane wearing a newly purchased navy blue Brooks Brothers suit and fresh-out-of-the-box wing tips: acceptable for a meeting on the Eastern seaboard, but on the Mexican coast a flag of ignorance. The agent, Paul Kohner, had informed me Huston didn’t like to leave home and that I had to go to Mexico to see him. Kohner never mentioned panga travel on the open sea; I was now thinking the suit had been a bad idea.

Carrying my briefcase, I gingerly set one foot onto the boat’s center bench and stepped off the dock, careful to keep my balance as the craft adjusted to my weight. The boatman, who obviously spoke no English, gestured for me to move to the bow. I placed one dress shoe in front of the other, trying to avoid the swirling current of bloody water and fish innards in the bottom of the craft. Dregs on the front of the man’s T-shirt and rags in his pocket implied he had been on the water since before dawn, with a full day’s fishing behind him. We both waved to Joanie, who called that she would pick me up in three days.

The boatman tossed the lines ashore and sat down by the outboard. The fuel tank was a plastic milk container turned upside down with the base cut off with a serrated knife, leaving jagged edges. He picked up a flexible, hollow plastic tube, dunked one end into the milk container, sucked on the other end to get the flow started, inserted the discharge end into the back of the engine, and cranked it up.
As we headed into the incoming swells, the spray washed across the bow, adding decorative flecks of salt onto my suit, which, after thirty seconds on the Sea of Cortez, could not be worn again. I turned to the boatman, ready to ask if it was possible to skid the swells and avoid the splash.

He smiled in mock confusion. I was the entertainment on this trip, and splash was part of the show. I sank into the acceptance that my suit and shoes would be the price for the memory of this day. After ten minutes, I was desperately, pathetically trying to protect my briefcase from the salt water. I was sweating so rapidly that my hair was glued to my head and my tie had changed color.

Heading south, the boatman detoured close to the beaches to wave at nude bathers in Yalapa. They waved back, as if acknowledging my display as an offer of amusement.

After nearly an hour, we rounded a bend and approached a peninsula, where I could see a rectangular compound on a cliff-top mesa with a set of stairs leading up from the beach. At the top of the steps, wearing a white linen day suit and standing like the sentry to Oz, was John Huston.

The craft slowed and surfed in until we bobbed in shallow water.
 The boatman angled parallel to the shore, handed me my bag, and shouted over the engine, “O.K.!”
“Wait a minute. Isn’t there a dock?” I stood at the bow of the boat, holding my briefcase and my overnight bag, trying to maintain my balance as the boat oscillated with the waves.

“You jump,” he replied. I looked down. We were still in two or three feet of swells and he was telling me to jump in and wade ashore in my suit and wing tips, lifting my bags over the breaking waves.
“Now. You jump!” He yelled this time, worried that his boat would wash closer and that his prop might touch bottom. I looked up at Huston, hands on his hips, one leg propped on a rock. Even from a distance, I sensed a gleeful smile.

Holding my briefcase in one hand and my bag in the other, I jumped into the ocean and trudged ashore, trying to stay cheerful while thinking about how to redeem myself. As I left the water, my trousers clung to my legs and my shoes filled with sand. They squeaked as I walked across the beach to the steps.
Huston had not moved.

I climbed the steps, holding the bags away from my body. At the top, Huston watched without laughing. Standing before him, I tried to smile. I was wet, dirty, pouring sweat, embarrassed, and standing before one the icons of my chosen profession, in which I had no formal training, education, or experience. It was the moment, but hardly the circumstances, that I had anticipated.

“I hope all your guests aren’t as embarrassed as I am,” I stammered, not even sure what I meant.
Huston smiled as only he could, with a raised brow, twinkling eyes, and a curved mouth with lips that never parted. He pointed over my shoulder and spoke in a gravelly baritone that could belong to no one else. “Your quarters are behind you, closest to the water. I’m over here. Why don’t you get cleaned up, come on over, and we’ll talk.” He smiled again and went silent. I did as I was told.

After showering and changing, I knocked on the screen door and Huston’s Filipino cook Archie let me in. After introductions, Huston turned to me and smiled again, saying, “Archie’s the smartest man I ever met. Pretty good cook, too, but I keep him here so we can talk. Want a drink?”

When Archie returned with a bottle of Jack Daniel’s, we raised our glasses and the conversation began at 2 P.M. We remained in our chairs until after midnight. I met Maricela, who had once been his housekeeper and was now his full-time attendant, companion, and inspiration, and their adopted Huichol daughter, Graciela. Archie brought us food and another bottle. We continued talking long after it was gone.

I was shocked by the fluidity of this dance. He wasn’t that interested in my film experience, but he wanted to know who I was. We exchanged views about childhoods, parents, marriages, careers, loves, losses, prides, and disappointments. Huston talked about his brief avocations as a boxer, a painter, and a journalist. He told me writing was his first love, and that he had just finished his autobiography.
He talked about the world he had seen, why he loved certain continents so much more than others, and how he had fallen in love with Mexico when he made “Night of the Iguana,” in Puerto Vallarta. 

After living in Hollywood and then in Ireland, he decided that he wanted to spend his remaining years in the tropics. When this land was made available to him by the Indians, he took a long-term lease on it and designed the compound himself. He was a frustrated architect and would have loved to have worked that field, but after visiting a house that Huston had designed Frank Lloyd Wright comically disparaged Huston’s work and discouraged him from continuing. He said that Wright redeemed himself by requesting on his deathbed that if a film was made about the life of Frank Lloyd Wright, he wanted John Huston to direct it.

Huston liked that I hadn’t gone to film school and that I had come to Hollywood only recently, after several unrelated professions. He considered it an attribute in the developing Hollywood climate favoring style over narrative. I finally asked if he had any questions about the film I planned to make.
He raised his brow and solemnly stared, the most serious moment of the day. “I’d have to read the script first. But you can tell me this. You haven’t directed a movie yet. It can be difficult. You’ve got actors, producers, money people, budget, crew … it’s a considerable job. What do you think is the most important part of all that?”

My response didn’t require a thought: “Tell the story.”
That invoked the biggest smile of the evening—and I was secure that it wasn’t at my expense.
The next morning, I was sitting on my terrace working on the script when Graciela ran up with an important announcement. “John says you should come for a swim,” she declared, speaking like a master of ceremonies.

“Thank you, Graciela, but I’m just finishing something. I’ll be along in fifteen minutes, all right?”
She stood defiant, intent on executing her orders even though she was only five years old. “John says you should come now,” she said, unblinkingly referring to her adoptive father by his first name.

I followed Graciela to the beach where Huston stood at the base of the stairs. “I trust you slept well?”
I assured him I had, and he gestured. “Have a seat and let’s talk.”

Having learned from Graciela, I did as instructed.
“I read the script this morning,” he began. “It’s a good script. Frankly, I don’t see how you can lose.” He winked through his creases.
“Thank you, sir.” I was waiting for the rest.
“Now let’s go for a swim.” He started to get up.
“Wait a minute,” I interjected. “Does that mean you’ll do it?”
“Sure I’ll do it. I like it.” This time he got up and grabbed his towel.
“Did Paul tell you how much we’re paying?”
He shrugged nonchalantly. “What the hell. I like it. Now let’s go for a swim.” With that, he walked to the water’s edge, dropped his towel, put on a snorkel mask, waved for me to join him, and edged into the Pacific.

I remained on the steps for a minute, relishing a new understanding of life. I had done nothing to deserve this, beyond being who I was and doing what I was capable of, and it was the sum of my life’s moments that had brought me here.

Due to an airline strike, I stayed at the compound for three weeks. Huston and I shared many meals and thoughts in that time. He sponsored me to join his agency and his union. I finally talked to him about directing and, more important, he talked back. We made the film, which, despite his prognosis, was not successful. He went on to direct “Under the Volcano,” “Prizzi’s Honor,” and his final masterwork, “The Dead.” He was supportive of me throughout and was a considerate friend and mentor.

Afterward, I was given the opportunity to direct a second film. I learned of Huston’s death one August afternoon, while shooting on location in the California redwoods. I was trying to convince an actor, who had walked off a set after an argument over which direction he should turn while delivering a line, that the entire cast and crew was waiting on him; we had this location for only the day, we were losing valuable time while he was sipping beer in a bar, and if the film suffered because it was missing important scenes we would all stand to lose, from the top to the bottom. The actor shook his head and began to philosophize while I stole glances at my watch.

While listening to him complain about the producers, the funding, his costars, and his lodgings (which he had partially destroyed in a tantrum the previous day), I was glancing over the actor’s head at John Huston’s image on the television screen behind the bar, the dates of his birth and death superimposed underneath his whimsical face.

Staring at Huston’s face, I could hear his voice clearly: “Directing a movie is a considerable job. What do you think is the most important part?”

There are moments seemingly designed to make us realize the true weight of personality, genetics, and trial. Sitting on a wooden step, watching a seventy-six-year-old man by the name of John Huston wearing an immodest tank suit float on the gentle Pacific was one of those rare times when I felt life realized. A moment when synchronicity of effort and fate had rewarded me beyond my highest expectations.

Above, left to right: Terrell Tannen, John Huston, and Paul Kohner on the set of “A Minor Miracle,” in 1982. Photograph by Pamela Seaman.

Original Link: